Please let us what kind of Professional Development interests you! Click here to take a survey and to tell me what you need!
VIRTUAL Professional Development Opportunity!
Presented by SOMEA Secretary, Phil McCormick!
Beyond the Rainbow: Supporting
LGBTQ+ Students, Staff, and Exploring Intersectionality of Identity (LGBTQ+ 201)
In this interactive workshop, participants will learn about the various sexual orientations and gender identities that make up the LGBTQ+ community, with a focus on transgender, queer, intersex, and “plus” identities. Participants will also explore the concept and implications of social privilege and oppression. A large emphasis of the workshop will include moving beyond simply one’s LGBTQ+ identity, and also examining Kimberle Crenshaw’s concept of “intersectionality,” which incorporates how one’s various identities (race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.) together affect their experience. Participants will access various LGBTQ+ educator resources, explore best practices for supporting LGBTQ+ students and staff, and will create actions plans to bring back to their schools and worksites.
*This workshop is meant for participants who already have basic foundational knowledge of the LGBTQ+ experience.
**This workshop is open to all educators, both teachers and educational support professionals, including counselors, social workers, librarians, nurses, secretaries, bus drivers, custodians, maintenance workers, as well as all other professionals working with staff and students.
***If you attended this workshop last year, you are welcome to attend again, but it will be the same workshop as last year.
Thursday November 12, 2019, 4:00 – 6:00 Virtual!!! Meeting link will be sent to participants
the day of the event!
When: Thursday November 12, 2019, 4:00 – 6:00
Where: Virtual!!! Meeting link will be sent to participants the day of the event!
- NJEA Calendar Online Webinars – Pension Webinars Scheduled for July 15th.
- The NJEA Professional Development and Instructional Issues Division has developed guidance on a number of issues and has recorded a series of webinars addressing a wide variety of issues being brought forth by our members. Click here for more information and access to these webinars. You will need to sign into NJEA for access.
- This July, NJEA was planning to launch the new NJEA Radical Imagination Summit for Educators (RISE), combining our Techstock Conference and Summer Professional Learning Institute. This gathering would have invited members from across the state to engage in conversation, sharpen their tech skills, and co-create a vision for the next decade in New Jersey public education. Because of the COVID-19 crisis, our in-person summit must be postponed. However, we extend this special invitation to join us virtually for #StillWeRISE on July 16, 2020. Click here for more information or to register.
- MapSO Freedom School-Check Out MapSO Freedom School, resources and upcoming events including Professional Development Events.
- Teaching Tolerance-Sign up for a free account for teacher resources, Professional Development Opportunities, Magazine and Publications
- Google Tools for Elementary Classrooms-June 30 and other upcoming webinars
- MSUNER-Montclair State University Network for Educational Renewal
- Msuner Professional Development Series-Msuner PD Series
- CK-12 Webinars-You will need to sign up for a CK-12 Account.
- Newsela Webinars-You need a Newsela account to view the webinars.
- Desmos.com Recent Webinars– Math Specific
- Council for Exceptional Children– Special Ed Resources
Please complete this short survey so we can meet your needs for professional development: